31.1.12

Developing a Dissertation Proposal Part 3: IRB advice

If you're like me and have to obtain IRB approval for your dissertation I have one piece of advice- START EARLY.  I mean months and months and months, maybe even years, early.

This is for 2 main reasons:
1- Your major professor/advisor must be on the IRB, requiring that he/she  have all their certifications and approvals up to date with your local IRB.  Thus they are not able to officially be on your study until they pass through each gate; If they're not on it, you don't get approval.  And, if your advisor is as busy as mine, timeliness and follow-through in these types logistical matters is not commonplace.

2- The IRB approval process is slow and out of your hands.

I have witnessed more than one colleague delayed by a semester or more in graduation because they're IRB didn't get approved in time for them to start data collection when planned.

That being said, I don't plan to start data collection until next fall (6 months from now), therefore I started my IRB process 6 months ago. That is one full year ahead of time- IT STILL ISN'T FULLY APPROVED.  After working through each revision mandated by the review board and obtaining their stamp of approval (something I celebrated) I must continue to wait for all study staff to update their certifications with our IRB.

So my advise for you dear reader is this: START YOUR DISSERTATION IRB NOW, even if you have to revise later. It seems to be much faster to amend/revise an approved IRB study than to obtain initial approval.

Just my two cents.  Take it or leave it.

:)

No comments:

Post a Comment