8.5.11

Analysis Paralysis... The Birth of my own Political Blogging

Things may begin looking a little different for you all on PhD unplugged, or maybe not.  But a few things are shifting:

(1) I am going to start blogging weekly- this is to address both my original promise to write more, and  my current policy class blog assignment. (It's also for you all- you know, to keep you captivated).

(2) Based on the above stated blogging assignment in my policy class (which is sure to be a GREAT class), you will begin to see a heavier emphasis on policy in the blog.

(3) I will be sharing more of what I am reading with you, merged with my own developing thoughts and growth.  

Never fear. My triumphs and tribulations as a doctoral student with many hats will remain a focus; they intersect everything I do and think right now and therefore cannot be abandoned.

(...mostly tribulations now days.  It will be interesting to see when a shift from tribulations to triumphs occurs- it will happen, right?!?!?!)


*************************************

So why "Analysis Paralysis"?

I am reading my first class text, The Policy Making Process (3rd ed), by Lindblom, C.E. and Woodhouse, E.J. (1993) and that phrase, cliche as it is, keeps entering my mind.  The text examines policy making as a non-linear process; focusing on the power relationships of business elites and constrained public ideas among other things.  It is providing me much thought.  I am only half way through, but am drawn in.  Right now it's making me think mostly of the limited, or constrained, role research and analysis truly has on policy; both it's development and implementation.  This is something I've thought a lot about in my recent past, so to have a book dedicated to the discussion is proving provocative for me.  I am tempted to go back to Fiske's (1993), Power Plays Power Works, for a deeper understanding of power relations; especially the role of understanding the power that comes into play through/within/outside of one's locale, or community.  I think the two texts could work together quite intriguingly well.  I'll keep you posted on my thinking along these lines.

Anybody have any thoughts to add?????

You know how I LOVE comments!

Until then, good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment