3.1.12

Dabrowski's Positive Disintegration through Poem

I found this poem today and it spoke to me so I am sharing......

To me I see it exemplifying Dabrowski's Level III: Spontaneous Multilevel Disintegration whereby individuals live with inner turmoil sprouted from tensions between  who they are (their "is" based on personal values/morals) and who they ought to be based on societal/cultural/familial values and norms.

Dabrowski, K. (1996). The theory of positive disintegration. International Journal of Psychiatry, 2(2), 229-244.
_____________________________________
The Poem:
The Chameleon
by Ellen Dove Fiedler (as cited in Daniels & Piechowski's, 2009, Living with Intensity, p.168-169)


Sometimes you see me; then you don't.
I know the tricks for blending in.
My color's bright, 
A glowing hue, 
Changing with your point of view.


My awareness, truly keen, 
Makes me be sure
I'm seldom seen
Unless, unless it's safe for me-
Safe to be all I can be.


In surroundings where no threat
Causes me to fade and hide,
Filled with doubts
And deep despair,
Not quite belonging, anywhere.
If you will see me as I am
Then I can let you come inside,
Into a place
Where you can find
The treasures of my hidden mind.


I'll share my secret world with you,
Tell you my dreams,
My thoughts, my plans.
And then, at last,
Perhaps I can
Know who it is I really am.
________________________________


That last line, "know who it is I really am", is powerful and sad...........



No comments:

Post a Comment