24.1.12

Developing a Dissertation Proposal Part 2- Your conceptual framework: A How-To Guide from Maxwell

It is time to get serious folks. I have been instructed (1) to write my proposal draft and (2) develop my theoretical and conceptual framework.

“Excellent”, I think to myself.  “Directed guidance at last”.  I’ve been yearning for such directedness for quite some time in my studies and here it is laid out for me in two concrete steps. But there is one MAJOR problem; I have no idea what a theoretical or conceptual framework is.  Well, that’s not entirely true.  I’ve read about “these things”, talked about them and probably even written a good number of reflections on what the abstract terms theoretical and conceptual frameworks are according to the various authors I’ve been assigned the last 3 years.  But abstract is where they’ve stayed in my mind.  I can’t begin to “conceptualize” (ha- like the pun) or operationalize them/aka restate meaningfully for myself in concrete terms that my grandma could understand (thank you Dr. Tony Tan for teaching me this skill of clarity in writing- “write it so that your Grandma can understand it”, Tan, class lecture, Fall 2011) what a conceptual nor theoretical framework is and how to develop one for myself.

So, like a good little doctoral student I went searching for books, articles, and lectures- ANYTHING that speaks to DEVELOPING YOUR OWN theoretical & conceptual framework.  ALAS, I found something. A book on qualitative research by Maxwell has a chapter dedicated solely to the term conceptual framework. SCORE!
Maxwell, (YEAR). Qualitative Research Design. Chapter 3:  Conceptual Framework- What do you think is going on?
Maxwell writes that a conceptual framework is  “primarily a conception or model of what is out there that you plan to study, and of what is going on with these things and why- a tentative theory of the phenomena that you are investigating” (p.33). 
OK, so I just need to think about what I THINK is going on here and make sense of this all somehow logically. 
BUT HOW…
Maxwell recommends using a tool: the concept map. Below I outline this process for you- later I will write about how my application of this tool to my own study goes- WISH ME LUCK!

Exercise 3.1 (p. 52)- Creating a Concept Map for your Study
Here it is, in simplified “unplugged” terms:
Develop a concept map of the major concepts your studying and how they are related- remember “at this point you are trying to represent the theory you already have” in your mind
1-    Brainstorm keywords/terms that you use day to day when talking about the topic your studying/interested in

2-    Practice mapping out something you’ve already written on the topic (the Software Inspriations is helpful for this part)

3-    Take 1 initial term or concept from step 1 or 2 above and brainstorm everything you can that might be related to this term/concept
a.     Go over the brainstormed list from step 3 and highlight those that seem most relevant/connected to your study/topic of interest

4-    Have a peer or advisor interview you about your topic
a.     Have them ask/probe you “what do you think is going on and why”
b.     Tape this, listen to it and write down the main words you talked about
c.      FOCUS ON BOTH THE LITERATURE AND YOUR OWN EXPERIENCE EQUALLY!

5-    Now ask yourself how these concepts you generated on above lists are/might be related.  Look for:
a.     Connections
b.     Start with 1 concept/term and draw lines to others- using arrows
c.      The arrows/not the circles are the key here (your proposed relationships)
d.     Ask yourself, “what do I mean by this particular arrow”/”what does it stand for”
e.     Add a concrete example for each arrow/circle- GET OUT OF ABSTRACTION
(don’t worry if you don’t have an exact word- just use a placeholder)

6-    MOVE ,MOVE ,MOVE- continually ask yourself what you mean and if it makes sense. Keep re-working the concepts/terms (the circles) you choose to use and the relationships among/between them (arrows)

7-    Write a narrative about the map using the following probe: What does this map say about the phenomena I’m studying

8-    TAKE RISKS!
PHEW- a starting point.  I’m off to develop mine. Stay tuned for an update- if you do yours let me know how it goes… misery does truly love company!

No comments:

Post a Comment