31.5.11

Continuing the Continuum Conversation

I am in the process of getting interviews set up with state departments of education to see what they have to say about implementing their own legislative policies around the continuum of services.  So far I have some connection to Bambi J. Lockman , chief of the Bureau for Exceptional Education and Student Services (EESS) in the state of FL.  In preparing for my hopeful time with Bambi I began to do a little investigative work around FL's special education policies and value positions.  A quick look tells me that the continuum is not a hot topic.  It makes me wonder if the continuum regulations are adopted verbatim from the federal regulations, or if the state does in fact have their own version.  It also makes me wonder what message is sent to district leaders regarding the continuum of services and placement procedures for students identified as one's who would benefit from special education services.  Perhaps there is not a consistent message, leaving space for a variety of local interpretations.  We shall see.

It is these continuum thoughts that will propel me forward in this project.

Wish me luck!

1 comment:

  1. It seems you feel (and I would agree) that the continuum is at the heart of the legislation, and yet there's so little on it. It's almost as though the purpose of the legislation is lost in the details. I am interested to find out what you learn.

    ReplyDelete