12.1.11

Writing- The inevitable reality of my profression

1.11.10

Writing keeps coming up: in class, in meetings, in texts, and in professor commentary on my work. It seems I am at a critical juncture in my “career” that writing, as a set of skills, is an inevitable reality of my day-to-day work. This reality isn’t a shock, but is something I have been strategizing, creatively I must add, to avoid.

First, I turned in four papers last semester and two of them I’ve gotten specific feedback on regarding the need to improve my writing skills (and this is not the first semester said phenomenon has occurred). One came to me second hand through another professor (ANNOYING) and the other was well crafted, and might I add quite helpful, advice.

First, the clarity and logic of getting my point across needs some work. Specifically, I jump around a lot and don’t do a very good job making meaning for my reader. Thus, leaving a lot of space for individual interpretation (which in and of itself I don't see as a horrible thing, but when the paragraphs and sections “lack flow” work needs to be done). I can work on that. Thank you sir professor!

SECOND, THIRD... I can't remember right now, but I know he made three points (thank goodness I took notes). I'll add more to this later. (The all caps typing of the words SECOND, THIRD was an explicit suggestion from above mentioned professor about keeping the flow in my writing. The suggestion is to help me when I need to add more, but just don't have the words yet. By writing in all caps I cue myself in to come back later and fill in details, but allows me to keep on writing so that I don't loose any current thoughts I may have. Of course this is assuming I have more current thoughts- YIKES. But it is an overall really good idea. So here I try it. We'll see if I actually come back to this post and add. Faithful readers, do call me out if you see the all caps. That means I haven't followed the strategy through.)

Interestingly, I don’t find myself reacting to these suggestions in my typical defensive manner. Perhaps it is because I’ve matured over the years (doubtful). Perhaps it’s because I see value in the skill of writing beyond the classroom. Therefore, as a busy PhD student mom I see a direct connection to working on my writing and my future work- whatever that may be. And, perhaps it is because I know it to be a truth that I’ve been silently begging for someone to give me some guidance with. Whatever the actual reason may be for my positive reaction to the feedback I’m going with it.

I get it cosmos, this is the time for me to hone in on my writing skills.

I’ve got some new tools in hand. Two books (Liberating Scholarly Writing by Nash & The Elements of Style by Strunk and White) and a few solid suggestions, but I beg of you, my faithful readers, if you've got tools, suggestions or resources don't hold back on me now... do share.

5 comments:

  1. Believe it or not, I've started using the format I've taught my 5th graders. Sad, but it works. I helps me plan everything out in an outline (I know, I know, you hate those) and remember to include everything before I get started.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YES... sad, but true. I think I have to take your advice. THANK YOU. If you have a format that is quick and dirty let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here are two great books.

    Writing down the bones (Goldberg, 2006 (it may be 2005). This is a reprint of a 1986 book. However, the message is still relevant.

    Doing academic writing in education (Miller & Richards, 20XX) cant remember the date on this one either. The authors present how to incorporate your voice into academic writing.

    However, the best way to learn to write (this thought is directly from Goldburg) is to practice. Write about your day. Write about what it was like to leave your warm bed in order to wake your kids. Write just for yourself. And, push that critic out of your head. Write and then go back to edit. You can do it, dear doc student. Just trust yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. THANK YOU! I'm going to go and get them today.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My format is based on the curriculum my old district kinda uses. Topics are color coded based on their importance. Green = main topic that can be restated at the end of major sections, Yellow = sentences that will support the main topic (paragraph/new idea sentences), Red = sentences that support and give evidence for the yellow sentences.

    I tend to write the thesis statement (green) and all of the main points (yellows) and then start filling in all my evidence (reds). Then you can ensure that you are always following up on your main points. The goal is that you see a few greens, more yellows, and the majority reds.

    Ok, so I have been drinking a little bit, so I hope that makes sense :)

    I envy you...I hope that I still get around to starting my PhD, but hopefully there will be a new addition to the family first.

    Give your girls a big kiss from me!

    ReplyDelete